Friday, January 11, 2019
Chattarpati Murder Case - Dera Chief Held Guilty
Chattarpati Murder Case – Dera Sacha Sauda Chief Held Guilty.
Quantum of Punishment to be pronounced on 17th January
11 January 2019
Pictures and Videos: GS Mann, Amar Singh Jyani, Surender Sawant, Mukhtiar Singh Happy, Vikram Bhatia. Vikas Taneja. Photo Collage N Kaushik
Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim, along with three other accused were convicted in the journalist Ram Chander Chhatrapati murder case by a special CBI court in Panchkula on Friday, 11 January. The quantum of punishment will be pronounced on Thursday 17 January 2019.
Reaction of the family of Slain Journalist:सिरसा, 11.01.2019 पत्रकार राम चंद्र के छत्रपति हत्याकांड में डेरा सच्चा सौदा प्रमुख गुरमीत राम रहीम सिंह को दोषी करार दिया गया है। इस मामले पर प्रतिक्रिया देते हुए अंशुल छत्रपति व समूह छत्रपति परिवार ने फैसले को सच की जीत बताया है। अदालत ने छत्रपति के सच पर मुहर लगाई है। इस पर छत्रपति परिवार माननीय न्यायालय का तहेदिल से आभार व्यक्त करता है। सीबीआई ने इस मामले में जिस निष्पक्षता से जांच की उसके लिए सीबीआई के जांच अधिकारी सतीश डागर व उनकी समस्त टीम का आभार जताते हैं। मीडिया, अधिवक्ता, मामले के गवाहों के साथ एक बलशाली व दबंग आरोपी के खिलाफ लड़ाई में शुरू से अंत तक प्रत्यक्ष व् अप्रत्यक्ष्य रूप से साथ देने वाले प्रत्येक व्यक्ति का आभार व बधाई। उम्मीद करते हैं कि आरोपी को अधिकतम सज़ा दी जाएगी।
Ten Points to know about this case
1. On October 24, 2002, journalist Ram Chander Chhatrapati was allegedly shot at in Sirsa by two carpenters who were Dera followers. Chhatrapati died in November, after being treated at a hospital for few days.
2. Chhatrapati had written extensively about the growth of Dera into a powerful empire using wrong methods.
3. He had published an anonymous letter in his evening-daily 'Poora Sach' that highlighted the plight of women sexually abused by the Dera chief after which he was killed.
4. A former driver of Ram Rahim, Khatta Singh had earlier told that the sect chief had ordered the killing of the journalist.
5. The CBI filed a charge sheet in the murder case in July 2007. The driver was one of the most important witnesses of CBI.
6. The 51-year-old self-styled godman is currently serving a 20-year jail term in Sunaria jail at Rohtak for raping two of his women disciples.
7. Incidents of widespread violence were reported in Panchkula and Sirsa in August 2017 when the Dera chief was convicted in the rape case. More than 40 people were killed and over 200 injured.
8. With tightened security, Panchkula district is on high alert today. Additional troops have been deployed to maintain the law and order situation.
9. Around 500 police personnel have been deployed around the premises of the court.
10. The special CBI court on Tuesday gave consent to Haryana government plea to allow Rahim Singh to appear for the verdict through video conferencing.
Ramchander Chhatrapati was shot at in October 2002 after his newspaper, Poora Sach, published an anonymous letter that narrated how women were being sexually exploited by Gurmeet Ram Rahim at the Dera headquarters in Sirsa.
The journalist later succumbed to injuries, following which a case was registered in 2003.