Saturday, February 25, 2017
Laughter is the best Tonic - Dr TN Chugh
25 February, 2017
Pictures and Videos: GS Mann
Laughter is the Best Tonic
Laughter is the physical and physiological response to humor to express a set of gestures and the production inspiring sound. Generally, it is considered as visual expression of a number of positive emotional states such as joy, mirth, happiness, relief etc. Thus, laughter is a part of human behavior regulated by brain which helps to clarify the intention in a social interaction and response to conversation. In group, it informs about the acceptance of good relations with others which provokes laughter from others as a positive feedback. Laughter can be represented as a situation of amusement, chuckle, giggle, hilarity, mirth, merriment, shriek, glee and rejoicing. The conditions of despair, sadness, unhappiness and gloom are against laughter. The study of humor and laughter, is physiological and psychological effects on human body called Gelotology.
Smile and Laughter:
Smile is a facial expression that involves flexing of muscles at the sides of mouth which may extend to the contraction of muscles at the corners of eyes. The action of smile denotes pleasure, social ability, happiness, joy and amusement. It is a worthy source of communication throughout the world because it has favorable influence on others and makes one likable and more approachable. In social context, smiling and laughter have different functions. Certain persons consider that laughing is outburst of smile. Smiling is not a pre-laughing plan but may pave way to laughter. It can also be used as a response to laughter. Smiling generally indicates a positive greeting reserved for close friends, neighbors and family members. Too much smiling can be viewed as a sign of shallowness or dishonesty. The word, ‘Smile’ represents ’sweet moments in life experience’.
Dimples appear in cheeks of certain people due to variations in the structure of facial muscles and raising the cheeks high is associated with positive emotions. Thus dimples are genetically inherited in the form of dominant character and do not appear due to indifferent laughter. Normal laughing brings the audio structure of ‘ha-ha-ha’ or ‘ho-ho-ho’.
Causes of Laughter:
The major causes are the feelings of joy and humor; however, certain other easy situations may cause laughing. The general concept that explains laughter is called ‘Relief theory’ because it releases tension and psychic energy. It can be used to remove sad, angry and upset situations of mind. The jokes bring inconsistency, as one may realize that surprising condition was not dangerous, therefore, laughing provides relief. The laughter may have biological origin as a kind of shared expression of elevation and assistance. Laughter can also be brought on tickling, pleasing gesture and amusement. Certain persons feel that laughter is nothing else but sudden glory arising from rapid conception of some eminency in ourselves, by comparison with infirmity of ourselves or others. Although certain persons may find it unpleasant because tickling brings heavy laughing. Children posses about hundred times laughing period and frequency as compared to adult age due to increase of stress and selfishness.
Opportunities of Laughter:
Try to seek out persons rich in fun, jokes and amusement; share witty and merry making conversations; watch funny movies, T.V. shows, You tube and face book video; host humorous games with friends; attend laughter Yoga celebrations; enjoy your company with children because ‘ joke’ represents ‘joy of kids environment’; do something silly with kids; invite friends and co-workers to comedy clubs; read books with funny pages and then share the contents of delight; can try to move towards places of laughter; live up and smile with the people you pass in the street and co-workers because smiling is considered as neighborhood of laughter; make time for fun activities, for instance, miniature bowling, golf and carom; always express your true feelings; laugh loudly along with good clapping during morning exercise; play with animal or bird pet; develop hobbies which can be pleasing; adopt a habit of regular voluntary service for society. Certain opportunities tried on personal level are:
1 If you are an excellent teacher and you visit the classroom with smiling face, you shall find happiness in the aspect of each student.
2 If you are an efficient doctor and you offer treatment with amusement, it will elevate the confidence of patient.
3 If you are master of home to perform tasks with full attachment and confidence, it shall create delightful atmosphere in the family. The return of parents to home after official work, with smiling face, generates happiness in the family.
4 If you are businessman and enter your working place with pleasure, it reduces stress on coworkers and generates delightful atmosphere. Humor in work place reduce job stress, improve morale, boost productivity and creativity, and improve communication.
5 As a shopkeeper, if you convey regards to the customer, he or she will definitely purchase the articles with happiness.
6 If you have a stroll on the road with smile, people on the sides will pay utmost regards on their face.
7 You should display your happiness because the laughter does not cause expenditure but shall grant you great regards. Your pleasure will motivate others to enjoy the smile.
8 The conversation through anger is always condemnable, whereas, laughter is like the flourishing garden exhibited through pleasant faces of human race.
Negative Aspects of Laughter:
It may be caused by contrary emotional states such as embarrassment, confusion (nervous laughter) and courtesy, paradoxical and evil laughter. Excessive laughing is an unpleasant spell and can lead to cataplexy. Increased pride and fits of laughing can cause hardening of tissues, muscles, sclerosis, weakness, un-necessary shaking of limbs or even paralysis. Such persons feel undesirable sensations. It may be associated with depression or mental derangement. The spasm of laughter represents a form of epilepsy. Sometimes, laughing is due to revengeful feeling on certain actions. The eyes may moisten during laughter as a reflex from the tear glands. It is not always the tears that measure the pain, sometimes; it is the smile we fake.
Benefits of Laughter:
Laughter is the physical reaction in human beings due to response of certain external and internal stimuli that brings rhythmical contraction of the diaphragm and other parts of respiratory system. The multifarious advantages of laughing are used in the form of therapeutic tools—as a natural medicine. It provides physical, emotional and social well being:
1. Cause expansion of endothelium, the internal lining of blood capillaries that increases the rate of blood flow. The hypothalamus part of brain activates the receptors on the endothelial surface to produce nitric oxide. It not only provides reduction in painful inflammation of important blood vessels of heart but also decrease aggregation of blood platelets.
2. Reduction in the production of cortisol, that acts as a stress hormone.
3. Brain also produces the hormone of epinephrine during laughter to relieve much body pain and conflicts.
4. Laughing promotes the generation of antibody producing T-cells which help to strengthen the immune system and thus decrease the cause of many diseases.
5. About 40% people with heart diseases fail to recognize humor, in a variety of situations as compared to healthy persons.
6. Laughter being a collective activity, having social and moral role to eliminate their vices. It tends to motivate uniformity of behavior and works against eccentric behavior.
7. Improve emotional health, strengthen relationship and find greater happiness.
8. Laughing for about five minutes can cause relaxation of body muscles up to 45 minutes and can burn about 40 calories and could lose up to 1.5 Kg of body weight in one year.
9. Relief in mental health by adding joy and jest in life; relieve stress and depression; improve mood; enhance resilience and self esteem; overcome anger and resentment, ease anxiety, fear and tension; diminish pain and conflicts.
10. By seeking more opportunities of humor and laughter, one can also improve emotional health, happiness and even add years to life.
11. Reduce allergic reactions in a preliminary study related to dust.
12. Social benefits of strengthening relationships, improving team work and reducing conflicts. Laughter makes oneself more attractive to others.
13. Laughter is a natural outburst of inner happiness.
14. The use of intelligent humor and laughter promotes literary work.
15. True amusement reduces loneliness and promotes group bonding.
16. According to Bernard Shah,” if you want to tell people the truth, makes them laugh. If you could not laugh, people would go insane.”
17. Life is worth living as long as there is laughter in it. It is the cheapest medicine.
18. Laugh in the race of adversity and leap before you look. Dance as though everybody is watching you.
19. Laughter is an intellectual activity that requires immediate approach comic situations.
20. Humor lightens your burden, inspires hopes and keeps us grounded focused and alert.
21. Humor prevents difficult situations, disappointment and loss.
Bliss of Laughter:
Laughter is your birth right, a natural part of life that is innate and inborn. The child starts crying or weeping just after birth, actually to elevate the rate of breathing but learns laughing after a few months with the blessings of supernatural power.
The simple but prominent acts of taking good things in your life will make and keep you away from negative thoughts that tend to prevent laughter and humor. The great philosopher, M. Iqubal has given a quote,” only those persons are capable to laugh who are bless by God.” The true saints preach that people should lead simple life without worries, expect a little, give a lot, never hate anyone, stay strong, always smile even in trouble, make the people wonder how you are still smiling and always keep in touch with God. We get delightful results of peace and prosperity when we replace negative thoughts with positive ones. The eminent concepts of laughter develop better in persons because of good qualities of truthfulness, honesty, contentment, forgiveness, thanksgiving and humanitarian attitudes, which are due to delightful spiritual strength. Our mission in life is not merely to survive, but to flourish with passion, compassion, humor and Divine bliss.
Seek initiation through Spiritual Guide, concentrate on regular prayers and method of meditation so as to gain spiritual emancipation. God only can transform darkness, bitterness and blunders to elegant light sweetness and enthusiasm. Optimistic attitude, positive objectives, constructive and innovative steps, achieved through benevolence can help us to acquire eternal and perpetual blessings. Follow hilarious declaration that life is worth living because the whole earth laughs with flowers.
Contributed by: Dr. Triloki Nath Chugh.
Co-ordinator, Shah Satnam Ji Educational Institutions, Dera Sacha Sauda, Sirsa (Haryana, India ).
The writer is an eminent former Professor of Zoology; he has more than 3 decades of teaching experience in various colleges of KUK and is presently Co-ordinator, Shah Satnam Ji Educational Institutions, DSS, Sirsa. He can be reached on his Mobile No:+91-94160 48789 and email: email@example.com . Dr Chugh has published many Zoology research papers; Guided several M.Phil students for research; M.Sc. Secured 2nd Position BITS PILANI 1968; Gold Medalist in French Diploma 1981 KUK; Prinicipal at SSS Boys College for 7 years.